Saturday, January 1, 2011

Divine Intervention

Now that I was sure I had my wife on board with the Airstream thing, it was time to figure out how to actually get one. My idea was to find an older one and fix it up. I’m mechanically inclined and good with my hands, so I know that if I were to find a fixer-upper, it would be done right. The sad reality though is that I do not have much in the way of extra time once work and various family obligations are factored in. (In the past we have had nine soccer events per week!) It is likely that the fixer-upper would stay in that state of please repair for years, and we would continue to dream of what could be rather than experience what should be. Nope, the best solution is to buy the trailer that we can use now. So how do we get it? We do not come wealth, we have not won the lottery, and we are not even remotely related to anyone with the name “Buffet” or “Gates” or “Jobs”. (Although I think all three of these guys have some of MY money!) You don’t need to be a millionaire to own an Airstream, but a bit of extra cash is helpful. So my beautiful wife comes up with the solution. 

“Pray about it”, she says.
I reply with a “Huh?”
“I said pray about it. Ask God for an Airstream”.
“Uh, ok.”, I then proceed to utter these words... “Dear God, please give me an Airstream. Amen”.
She suggests to me that I should be more specific when I pray. I doubt it, after all, isn’t He omniscient?
Two days later a miracle happens and my prayer is answered. I get a phone call telling me to get my butt over to their house as they have something I’ve been looking for, and it’s free!

This is what was waiting for me....

While I’m grateful for not having to purchase a central vacuum system for our house, (we really did need this), I’m pretty sure I actually heard God laugh. Not mocking me, but more in a “Ha, I gotchya on that one!” sorta way. God definitely has a sense of humour.



It was now my wife’s turn to hear those three little words every wife longs to hear from her husband....”You were *cough* right”. I’ll be more specific when I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment